Indian fry breads are commonly known as ‘poori’ or ‘puri’ in Hindi. Many a time they are a meal in themselves. Here is a simple Indian fry bread recipe which uses fresh fenugreek leaves as a main ingredient. This Indian fry bread recipe not only tastes excellent but also gives you the nutritional benefits of fenugreek.
– 2 cups of wheat flour
– 1 cup of gram flour
– 1 cup of fresh fenugreek leaves (washed and chopped finely)
– 2 tablespoons of salt (adjust according to taste)
– 2 tablespoons of hot oil
– 1 tablespoon of cumin seeds
– A pinch of turmeric
– A pinch of asafetida
– Oil for frying
– Water for kneading the dough
- In a big kneading bowl, take the wheat flour and mix in the gram flour.
- Now add the salt and fenugreek leaves to the flours and mix well by lightly rubbing the ingredients together using your hands.
- Leave the mix aside for 15 to 20 minutes. This is important because the fenugreek leaves shed water when they come in contact with salt. If you knead the dough immediately then it will get wet.
- Now mix the flour and fenugreek leaves well and add the cumin seeds and asafetida into it. Mix well.
- Make a hole in the center of the mixture and pour the hot oil in the middle.
- Mix using a fork (be careful – if the oil is too hot you can burn your hand).
- Now add water at room temperature to knead a soft dough.
- Let the dough rest for some time.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan.
- Cut the prepared dough in small balls and roll the balls to 3-4 inches in diameter. It should not be too thick or thin (about 1/2 centimeter thick is more than enough).
- Fry the bread in hot oil until golden brown on both sides and puffed.
- Remove from oil and place on an absorbent paper towel to soak up the extra oil.
- Serve warm.
Fenugreek fry bread is a meal in itself and very filling. You can serve it with:
- Tomato chutney
- Mango or chili pickle
- Potato and peas gravy or any other gravy of your choice
- Raita (yogurt seasoned with cumin seeds, mustard powder, cucumber and tomatoes)
Indian fry bread is great to carry with you if you are going on a long journey. It can be stored for up to 10 days at room temperature without spoiling. Make sure that you use properly washed and fresh fenugreek leaves only.