As most bakeries use egg and yeast to bake their breads, it is difficult for people who are vegan to find bread recipe‘s in the market that is without eggs. It is also especially difficult for those who cannot eat gluten to find a loaf of bread to enjoy. Here is a simple gluten free and vegan rice flour bread recipe that you can make at home and enjoy with your family and friends.
- ½ cup fresh and unsalted almonds
- 1 ½ cup brown or white rice flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 3 teaspoons poppy seeds (optional)
- ½ cup fresh yogurt
- ½ cup water
- 1 large tablespoon flaxseeds (for those who eat eggs, use 1 large egg and 1 egg white)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (this keeps the bread moist even after a few days)
To prepare the batter:
- Grind the flaxseeds to a fine powder and mix with 3 tablespoons of water.
- Let the mixture simmer for a little while for the flaxseeds and water to gel well. This acts as a substitute for eggs.
- Grind the almonds with ½ cup of rice flour to a fine almond meal. The finer you grind it, the better it is.
- Mix the rest of the flour, baking powder, salt and 2 teaspoons of poppy seeds with the almond meal. Run the mix in the blender once to ensure proper mixture.
- Mix the yogurt with water, put the mix in a food processor and whisk it to a buttermilk-like consistency.
- Add the flaxseed gel and oil to the mix and run the food processer on the middle speed to blend all the liquids well.
- Use a tablespoon to add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Blend well after each addition. This will incorporate the air in the bread and make it crumbly and soft.
To bake the rice flour bread:
- Heat the oven to 180°C or 350°F.
- Grease a bread loaf pan with a little butter.
- Pour the prepared bread batter in the bread loaf pan.
- Sprinkle the rest of the poppy seeds on the top.
- Bake in the oven for 55 minutes.
- Take the bread out of the oven and cool it on a wire rack.
- Once the bread is cool, cut it in slices to serve.
- The bread can be stored for up to 2 weeks. Store in an air-tight container.