Gone are the days when people who could eat gluten without any concerns could not only bake a traditional banana bread recipe and then enjoy them along with coffee cakes and the like. Gluten free recipes are very common these days. In fact, for various reasons not related to gluten intolerance they’re sometimes preferred by many others. Here is a delicious gluten free banana bread recipe tinged with lemon, which not only adds a yummy twist to the traditional recipe but also tastes as good as the regular banana bread.
- 2 cups of rice flour (you can also mix 1 cup of rice flour with 1 cup of buckwheat flour).
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 cup or margarine or butter
- 2 tablespoon of margarine for greasing the bread mold
- 3 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 ¼ cups of regular or brown sugar
- 3 average sized ripe bananas
- 4 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 4 tablespoon of icing sugar ( you can use normal sugar also but icing sugar gives more texture)
- Preheat the oven at 200 C.
- Mash the bananas finely.
- Mix 1 cup of butter with the mashes bananas and mix well.
- Add sugar to this mix.
- Add the eggs one by one to the mix beating well between each mix.
- You should get a smooth mix. Add some vanilla extract to this (optional).
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the banana-egg mixture and mix well. Make sure there are no lumps in the bread mix otherwise it will not cook evenly.
- Grease a large bread baking can with almond oil or margarine.
- Dust the inside of the can with rice flour so that the bread does not stick to the bottom and the sides.
- Pour the mix in the can and spread evenly. Do not mix in the greased can.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 1 to 1 ½ hour.
- Insert a skewer in the middle of the loaf and if it comes out clean then the bread is done.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Mix the icing sugar with lemon juice and drizzle over the bread loaf.
- Let it cool completely before cutting.
- You can store this bread for 2 weeks in an airtight container.
- Serve with coffee or tea or eat as a snack.
- You can add various spices such as some dissolved coffee, nutmeg and cinnamon powder to the bread mix to add more flavor.
- You can vary the quantity of lemon juice depending on how lemony you want the bread to be.