Here is an interesting Indian fry bread recipe that uses potatoes as a filling and can be served as a single dish for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
When it comes to bread recipe‘s potato is something that is used almost as much as rice in dishes and all over the world. It’s a safe bet to use in your preparations because both adults and children love eating potatoes.
- 2 cups of refined flour – 250 grams
- Salt to taste
- Oil- 300 mil for frying
- Hot oil -20 ml for preparing the dough.
- Water ½ liter to knead the dough
- Carom seeds – 1 gram
- Cumin seeds -1 gram
- Potatoes -200 grams
- Red chili powder – 2 grams (adjust according to taste). You also use red chili flakes or green chili.
- Turmeric powder -1 gram
- Garam Masala
- Boil the potatoes until they are perfectly cooked and soft inside.
- Peel, mash potatoes and add salt then mix well.
- In a frying pan take some oil and heat it.
- Add the cumin, carom seeds and green chilies (if you are using them) in the oil and let it cook for about ½ minute.
- Take it off the heat and add the Garam masala, red chili powder and turmeric powder to it. The heat in the oil will cook the spices.
- Pour the oil mix on the mashed potatoes and mix it well.
- Brush 2 drops of oil on your palm and roll the potato mix into balls.
- Cover and keep aside
- Take the flour in a dish and add the hot oil to its center. Adding the oil will make the fry bread crispier and it will absorb less oil.
- Mix oil, flour and salt to get a crumbly mix. Keep it aside for 15minutes.
- Add water to the dough and knead a slightly hard dough. Don’t allow it be too wet otherwise it will be hard to fry.
- Cut the dough in small balls and roll out the dough using a rolling pin. If you find it difficult to roll then brush 2-3 drops of oil to prevent it from sticking.
- Put a scoop off potato mash into the middle of the rolled out dough and cover from all sides to make a ball.
- Roll out the ball lightly to ¼ inch of thickness.
- In a deep fry pan heat the oil to a smoking point and turn down the heat.
- Put the rolled out patty in the oil one at a time and fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve hot with tomato chutney or a thick gravy. You can cut it in stripes and serve with your favourite dip too.