Rice flour is very popular in southern parts of India and is used to prepare many tasty dishes. Here is one popular rice flour bread recipe from Karnataka that takes only minutes to prepare and is full of taste and flavors. This bread recipe is served with dill-coconut chutney and eaten hot off the griddle.
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 finely chopped green chili, or you can use 1/4 teaspoon of green chili paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (adjust according to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh coconut grated
- Water to mix the dough
- Oil for cooking
- In a bowl, mix the rice flour, chopped onions, green chili, coriander leaves, salt and cumin seeds.
- Sift the ingredients together.
- Add the grated coconut and mix well.
- Now add a little water to the flour mix to get a smooth dough. The dough should not be too firm or too soft, just firm enough to hold in your hands.
- Divide the dough in 3-4 equal parts and make balls.
- Spread some oil on a flat griddle and heat it at low flame.
- Place one ball of dough in the middle of the griddle and use your fingers to spread it to 1/2 inch thick round. Wet your fingers in between to prevent the dough from sticking to your fingers.
- Make some tiny holes in the round bread and pour a few drops of oil in the holes.
- Cover the bread and let it cook for 4-5 minutes on low flame.
- Remove the cover and flip the bread and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve with tasty dill-coconut chutney (recipe given below).
- 2-3 tablespoons dill weed chopped
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 2-3 green chilies
- 1/2 inch peeled and chopped ginger
- 2 tablespoons tamarind pulp
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Grind all the ingredients in a mixer jar or food processor till you get a smooth paste.
- Add a little water to get even grinding.
- You can make this chutney and store for up to a week in the refrigerator.
- Serve this chutney with the Akki roti.
- You can also serve the rice flour bread with different curries.
- Don’t forget to serve a dollop of fresh butter on the side.
- You can increase and decrease the amount of coconut used in the dough depending on your taste. Using fresh coconut makes the roti soft.