Now, I have never been to India (Or anywhere even close, for that matter), but thankfully India’s unique and delicious cuisine including the varieties of indian fry bread recipe has found it’s own way into my kitchen over the years.
You won’t need very many ingredients at all, chances are you already have these ones in your home. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 3/4 cups of water
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 2 tsp of baking powder
Here are the instructions, and always be careful when dealing with hot oil in a frying pan!
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder.
- Mix in the oil and the water, mix thoroughly.
- Form a large ball of dough with the mixture, and break off about 8 equal sized pieces. Form each piece into a ball and flatten it. It’s your choice if you would like to poke a hole in the middle to create a ring, or have a flat circle.
- Fill a frying pan with about 3/4 inch of vegetable shortening, and turn up the heat just past medium. Fry the pieces of batter for a few moments on each side, until they just start to brown. If you time it just right, they will be golden and delicious!
- After removing from the frying pan, make sure you have a piece of paper towel of a kitchen towel to absorb the excess oil from the bread.
That’s all it takes to make a delicious fry bread recipe at home! As with any bread recipe that requires frying, always be careful when dealing with higher temperatures and frying oil, it’s okay to wear a pair of gloves so ensure that an accidently splash doesn’t hurt you!
The best time to apply icing sugars is while the bread is still warm, but not too hot. Allow it to cool for a few moments after removing it from the heat, and then sprinkle over icing sugar for a delicious treat!