Vegan banana bread recipe is easy to prepare and all the vegan ingredients are easily available in the market. It is healthy and low fat as oats, wheat flour, nuts and bananas are added to it, which increases its nutritional value. Given below are two versions of a moist and flaky vegan banana bread recipe (one with chocolate chips and one with strawberries).
- 1 cup of ripe mashed bananas
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ¼ cup of water
- 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseeds
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- ½ cup of oat flour
- 1 ½ cups of wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup of vegan chocolate chips (or more depending on your taste)
- ¼ cup of soy or almond milk
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup of slivered walnuts and almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Add the olive oil and water to the mashed bananas and mix well. You can use an electric blender at low speed for this.
- Add the sugar and blend the mix well.
- Add the milk and apple cider vinegar to this mix.
- In a separate bowl, mix the oat flour, wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, flaxseed powder and cinnamon.
- Stir the dry ingredients in the wet ingredients and blend the mix well.
- Add the chocolate chips, walnuts and almonds to the mix.
- Line a 9×5 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Pour the batter in the baking pan and smooth the tops.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 1 hour and 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool before cutting in slices to serve.
For the strawberry version:
The ingredients remain the same except:
- Replace the chocolate chips with ½ cup of diced strawberries
- Lemon rind of one lemon
- One thinly sliced strawberry for decoration
The method remains the same except:
- Add the diced strawberries along with the mashed bananas and stir the mix well.
- Add the lemon rind in the wet ingredients.
- Place strawberry slices on the top of the batter when baking.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes and then cover the bread with foil to prevent the strawberries from getting brown.
- Bake at 325F for another 25-30 minutes.
- Let the bread cool overnight before serving.
- The bread might feel a little raw because of the moistness; if you like a drier kind of bread you can bake it slightly longer.