As soon as you hear the first footsteps of fall coming around the corner, you know it is time to put on your baking gloves and starting baking delicious pumpkin pies and breads. But for those who get cravings for pumpkin bread recipe with canned pumpkin during summer, you need not be disappointed as you can easily use canned pumpkin to prepare the bread at home. Instead of using a simple pumpkin bread recipe, here is one that has a delicious cream cheese frosting in the center that offsets the sweet taste of the bread with its tanginess.
Cream cheese filling:
- 227 grams cream cheese
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup walnuts
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup butter (at room temperature)
- 2 cups canned pumpkin
- ½ cup water
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- This recipe caters for two 9×5 inch breads; therefore, you will need two greased pans.
- Roast the walnuts for about 5-6 minutes on a low flame and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the cream cheese and sugar and beat using a food processor or a blender at a low speed until you get a smooth creamy mix.
- Beat in the eggs, one by one, and once the eggs are mixed gently stir in the flour.
- Do not over-beat the mix otherwise it will melt while baking.
- In a separate bowl, mix the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- In another deep mixing bowl, beat the eggs until light and fluffy.
- Add the sugar, butter and vanilla extract and whisk them well.
- Use a spoon to stir in the pumpkin, water and nuts.
- Do not beat too much otherwise the bread will be hard.
- Now add the flour mixture and stir well. There should be no streaks of flour in the mix. Scrape the sides well when mixing so that all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Divide the batter in four parts.
- Take two parts and pour them evenly in the prepared pans.
- Divide the cream cheese frosting in two and place on the batter in the two pans.
- Top the pans with the remaining two parts of the batter. Don’t press it down too much; instead just use a spoon to drop it on the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 55-65 minutes until the tops are firm and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before cutting in slices to serve.
You can store this bread for up to 2 weeks in a zip lock bag.